Well, I’m at the tail end of my East Coast summer vacation, which has included a trip to the beach (Oak Island, NC) and a trip to see the in-laws (Richmond, VA).
- Getting my 9 year old niece and 11 year old nephew hooked (nay, obsessed) with the board games Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride. I mean, I love those games, but man… I think they would play Settlers 24/7 if they could. Frightening.
- Taking one last ride on the Hurricane at the Myrtle Beach Pavilion. This was the fourth summer we’d taken the kids to the Pavilion, and we’re sad that it’ll be the last.
- Having lunch on our way back to VA at Parker’s Barbeque and Chicken in Wilson, NC. It’s always a good sign when the parking lot is full on a weekday for lunch. I don’t think the barbeque or Brunswick stew was as good as the ones at Bullocks in Durham, but since I’m going to be visiting there in another month, I wasn’t too broken up. It was, however, nice to be in a real down-home NC eatery. Felt like home.
- Catching the tail-end of tropical-whatever Ernesto. Hopefully, my nephew’s laser tag birthday won’t be flooded out down in Shockoe Bottom.
- We ended up at Parker’s because the place we really wanted to try, the Beefmaster Inn, wasn’t open for lunch. I guess we’ll have to make the trek out one day when we’re visiting Durham…
Back at work soon…